Heritage Open Days will return to the city in just over two weeks. This is everything we know so far.
Heritage Open Days is a national initiative coordinated by the National Trust, and it England’s largest grassroots heritage festival.
The event celebrates Coventry’s architecture, culture and local history.
Locally, the event is organised by Coventry City Council and is free to attend.
The National Theme for Heritage Open Days 2019 is People Power, meant to represent everything from small victories to global triumphs and everything in between.
This year Heritage Open Days celebrates 25 years of being, and so the event is expected to be bigger and better than ever before, with an expensive list of sites to visit across the city.
Venues & Events
There are 54 venues and events that will be open in the city this year, including both old and new buildings.
The Friends of War Memorial park are giving visitors the chance to see inside the 90-foot Cenotaph at the Chamber of Silence which is only normally open for Remembrance Sunday.
This rare opportunity will let those attending to view the Rolls of the Fallen which lists all the Coventry men killed in the two World Wars as well as more recent conflicts.
Elsewhere in the city, the early Tudor style Council House will be open, giving visitors the opportunity to view the Council Chambers, Lord Mayor’s hospitality suite and Lady Mayoress’ parlour.
National Express Coventry, who run bus routes across the city, is opening its doors to show a unique behind the scenes look at the workings of a busy local transport provider and the technology which supports the day to day operation, including site tours, Heritage Vehicle rides and rides through the bus wash.
Here’s a full list of all the events and venues released so far for Heritage Open Days 2019 in Coventry:
- All Saints Church, Allesley Village
- Allesley Park Walled Garden
- St George’s Church, Coundon
- St Mary Magdalen Church, Chapelfields
- Weavers House and Garden
- Coventry Printmakers and Holyhead Studios
- Albany Theatre
- Bonds Hospital Almshouse
- Coventry Watch Museum
- St John the Baptist Church, Fleet St
- Coventry Canal Basin
- Belgrade Theatre
- Coventry Model Railway Club
- Coventry Central Library (Formally known as the Locarno Dance Hall)
- Queens Road Baptist Church
- Coventry Transport Museum
- Old Grammar School
- St Mark’s Church
- BBC Coventry and Warwickshire
- Holy Trinity Church
- Lychgate Cottages (presently The Coventry Prayer House)
- Ford’s Hospital
- Coventry Cathedral
- The Council House
- Coventry Freeman’s Guild Room
- St Mary’s Guildhall
- Herbert Undercroft Tours
- Herbert Art Gallery and Museum
- Coventry Archives
- Coventry Police Museum
- Dalecote House – Coventry Freemasons Masonic Hall
- War Memorial Cenotaph Chamber of Silence
- Stoney Road Allotments
- HOME by Upspring
- Walk With Me #2 by Talking Birds
- Stoke Community Library
- King’s Field Orchard
- Christ Church
- Bridge View Light Railway
- Caludon Castle Monument and Bands in the Park event
- Bagot’s Castle
- St Bartholomew’s Church
- St Mary The Virgin Church, Stoneleigh
- Coombe Abbey Park
- Amazon BHX4 Coventry
- Holy Cross Church Open Day
- Stivichall Animal Pound
- National Express Garage
- Drapers’ Hall
- Swanswell Gate
- Discover The Burges
- Children’s Explorer Trail
- A Taste of Foleshill – A Guided Heritage Walk
- Our Place at The Table
This list will be updated when and if new venues or events are announced.