The Brexit Party came out on top across the West Midlands, gaining the majority of votes in Coventry, with Conservatives and Labour losing seats amid Brexit delay backlash.
Nigel Farage’s Brexit Party makes a strong start, winning the North East, Eastern England, West Midlands and Wales.
Remain-backing Liberal Democrats make a winning start too, beating Labour to first place in London.
It was a good night for the smaller parties, including the Green Party and Liberal Democrats, while the Conservatives and Labour lost significant seats across the country.
West Midlands region:
Overall regional result – turnout 33.1%
- The Brexit Party – 507,152
- Labour Party – 228,298
- Liberal Democrats – 219,982
- Green Party – 143,520
- Conservative Party – 135,279
- UKIP – 66,934
- Change UK – 45,673
Overall city result – turnout 30.68% (66,856 people)
- The Brexit Party – 21,260
- Labour Party – 16,990
- Liberal Democrats – 10,082
- Green Party – 7,820
- Conservative Party – 5,083
- UKIP – 3,269
- Change UK – 2,017
European Parliamentary West Midlands Candidates:
- Rupert Lowe – The Brexit Party
- Martin Daubney – The Brexit Party
- Neena Girl – Labour Party
- Phil Bennion – Liberal Democrats
- Andrew Kerr – The Brexit Party
- Eleanor Chowns – Green Party
- Anthea McIntyre – Conservative Party