The change comes after new Government coronavirus guidance allowing individuals from more than one household to meet as long as they socially distance.
On Friday, Coventry City Council’s cabinet were informed of plans to increase the number of mourners that can attend a cremation or memorial service at Canley Crematorium.
Following this approval, up to 16 mourners are now being allowed to enter the Chapels (both Charter and Cannon Hill) for a service.
The plans have been implemented following the new Government guidance issued this last week which states that individuals from more than one household can meet as long as they socially distance. This in turn has allowed for greater flexibility in the number of people allowed at a service.
Coventry’s Bereavement Services have been hard at work removing excess furniture from both the Chapels so that there is adequate space for more mourners to safely socially distance, said the Council.
Despite the increase in the number of people allowed to attend a service, the number of people allowed directly around the grave remains limited to six. There will however be a space made in the wider cemetery for up to 20 additional mourners to reflect while socially distancing.
Cllr Patricia Hetherton, cabinet member for city services at Coventry City Council, said: “For many people, this is the last chance to say goodbye to their loved one. We want to enable as many people to be able to do that as possible.
“The safety of our residents will always be our number one priority, which is why up to now we’ve limited the numbers to six.
“However, following the changes in Government guidance and the hard work of our Bereavement Services staff, we’re confident that we can now safely accommodate more people at a service.
“We thank you for your patience and support as we adapt and review our services on an on-going basis.”